Re: Queries on RGW Multitenancy

Pete Zaitcev writes:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:14:36 +0200
> Abhishek Lekshmanan <abhishek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Are there any changes in the way bucket and object urls are used by
>> clients after creating a user with a tenant? My understanding so far has
>> been that the urls look the same for clients, and based on the
>> credentials passed in, we determine the tenant for requests. Is this
>> correct?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Also on making a bucket/object public the urls follow a format like:
>>
>> Is there an equivalent s3 vhost style url for the above? Trying any of
>> tenant.bucket.host combos mostly gave  404s
>
> No, sadly there is no such syntax. This is because a bucket name of
> "buc.ket" is valid, so there's no way to tell a cross-tenant reference
> in your proposal from a valid bucket name within a tenant. One has to
> continue using the old access method, like when using extended names
> of Virgina region buckets.

Thanks for clarifying, yeah I expected it would be difficult since `.`
was allowed to be used in bucket names and you can't construct domain
names with most other seperators, not a deal breaker :)

>> And similarly for swift making a bucket public, the only url that seemed
>> there is no swift url of the format
>> behaviour?
>
> Historically, we did not have the ability to do this, because, unlike
> traditional Swift, our URLs did not have a tenant in them. E.g. it was
> just /swift/v1/<container>. In Jewel, the tenant is included. It was
> made fully backwards compatible by saving the bit to signify the
> tenant-included URL into the token (the "rgwts" token).
> So now the cross-tenant access is done in the exactly the same way as in OpenStack
> Swift.

Ah ok, the information is encoded in the token, so on making a
bucket/container public we'll still access it at
<host>/tenant:container/... location, rather than a /swift/tenant sort
of url

> One problem remains, as you can guess: cross-tenant access while
> authenticated with Keystone. This is simply not implemented. We considered
> a couple of approaches, such as
>  - a special syntax, such as backslash "tenant\bucket"
>  - a new header "X-RGW-Tenant"
>  - a user attribute in Keystone (requires cooperation from Keystone)
>  - a separate endpoint in the Keystone catalog, possibly using regions
>
> Thanks for raising this issue. Honestly I gave up on finding an elegant
> solution for now, although tinkering with endpoints seems like a winner.
> I think Radoslaw liked it too. If you have ideas, by all means please
> propose them.

I might be understanding this wrong, but since endpoints are an admin only
thing (to create), are you suggesting something like a different region
per tenant or so?

Doesn't keystone returns the tenantid while authenticating (I could be
wrong), in which case we somehow enforce that the tenant-id for a user
created in rgw[1] if you're using keystone should match the ones used at
openstack and check for the value of tenant-id returned by keystone when
authenticating?

[1]: this is still tricky, as we create users at runtime after first
authentication with keystone iirc

--
Abhishek Lekshmanan