Re: The fundamental evil of "magic" in computing systems -> Was: mon daemon makes authentication side effects on startup

On 04/07/2016 05:43 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Owen Synge wrote:

>>> Works for me.  We just need to change ceph-deploy and get the other
>>> install/deploy tool folks on board before A.
>>
>> Are you intending to get this into Jewel?
>>
>> I had assumed this would only be done on master, and only come into the
>> next release.
>
> Yeah, too late for jewel.
>
>> As a change to master I felt that we could just do (A) as soon as
>> ceph-deploy works without the mon boot up scripts calling
>> ceph-create-keys, ideally without having  ceph-create-keys in
>> ceph-deploy's process.
>>
>> We can then file bugs as needed against other install processes that
>> depend on ceph-create-keys, and they can test against master.
>
> That works for me.
>
> sage

Great,

I have a fix, that is tested and working for ceph-deploy without
depending upon ceph-create-keys based upon a rewrite of the method

  ceph-deploy gatherkeys mon-node-01 mon-node-02 mon-node-03

Works nicely for the old and new methods, and seems to have little
impact apart from no new keys are wrote to disk on the mon nodes. OSD's
and rgw can be deployed without change, (I haven’t tested mds)

Previous behavior with the admin keys being deployed can be achieved
simply by executing:

  ceph-deploy admin mon-node-01 mon-node-02 mon-node-03

If we definitely what to enforce the admin code being persisted on all
mon nodes can be changed later, but I think its cleaner if we do not.

I will submit a PR on Monday.

Best wishes

Owen
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB
21284 (AG

Maxfeldstraße 5

90409 Nürnberg

Germany