Re: The fundamental evil of "magic" in computing systems -> Was: mon daemon makes authentication side effects on startup

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Owen Synge wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> On 04/07/2016 02:26 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi Owen,
> >
> > I never really liked ceph-create-keys either, but it simplified the
> > deployment process.
>
> I would propose we do this in two stages.
>
> (A) Remove calling the command from the init scripts as a side effect of
> starting the mon.
>
> This allows us to get most of the issues solved.
>
> (B) Remove the command.
>
> This is the long term goal, which is not as urgent in my opinion but
> others may disagree.

Works for me.  We just need to change ceph-deploy and get the other
install/deploy tool folks on board before A.

> > I have no problem with removing it as long as we make
> > sure the deployment process doesn't too much harder for ceph-deploy users.
>
> The documentation for the manual process without using ceph-deploy will
> need to be changed if we remove calling ceph-create-keys from the boot
> scripts.

Yeah.

> For ceph-deploy users I think we should see if any changes to the
> process are needed, the next question is will any be wanted?

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I don't think ceph-deploy usage
has to change at all.  The old way was

 1. ceph-create-keys creates and installs the keys on the mons
 2. ceph-deploy gatherkeys or create-initial slurps them up

We can just change ceph-deploy so it creates and stores them locally, and
doesn't store them on the mons at all.  Users don't get the side-effect
that the mons have the keys installed, but that is arguably better anyway.

> https://github.com/SUSE/ceph-deploy/commit/58b030dbe0a964b32f1fbc9a3762e64dd74bf50c

Instead of this, it should do the same steps as ceph-create-keys (use the
mon. internal key to authenticate to create the admin and bootstrap
keys), but just write them to the local ceph-dpeloy work dir.

sage