Re: ceph-disk improvements

One thing I'd like to see and I know we discussed that with Loïc a
while ago is ceph-disk being idempotent when it comes to the device
preparation.
Running "ceph-disk prepare" against a device should result in an exit
0 if the disk already has an OSD prepared on it (unless we do
something like --force, which will then zap the disk).
I had to implement this logic in ceph-ansible (and the guys from
chef/puppet probably did the same), so now it's done but i'll be happy
to leave ceph-disk doing it :).

Thoughts?

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2016-04-02T07:54:05, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> > Op 1 april 2016 om 17:36 schreef Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> >

>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > There are a couple of looming features for ceph-disk:
>> >
>> > 1- Support for additional devices when using BlueStore.  There can be up
>> > to three: the main device, a WAL/journal device (small, ~128MB, ideally
>> > NVRAM), and a fast metadata device (as big as you have available; will be
>> > used for internal metadata).
>> >
>> > 2- Support for setting up dm-cache, bcache, and/or FlashCache underneath
>> > filestore or bluestore.
>> >

>> Keep in mind that you can't create a partition on a bcache device. So when using
>> bcache, the journal has to be filebased and not a partition.
>
> Is there a point to running the journal on bcache? I see a point for
> bcache for the (potentially on HDD) actual data store - but the
> WAL/journal, would that not be directly on NVMe/PM/SSD (at the very
> least)? Without an intervening cache?
>

> Regards,
>     Lars
>
> --
> Architect SDS, Distinguished Engineer
> SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
> "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." -- Oscar Wilde
>
> --

Cheers

––––––
Sébastien Han
Senior Cloud Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Mail: seb@xxxxxxxxxx
Address: 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris