Re: ceph-disk improvements

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Sebastien Han <shan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wido, I just discussed that with Sam last week and it seems that
> bcache allocates a minor of 1 when creating the device.
> Sam ended up writing this:
> https://yaple.net/2016/03/31/bcache-partitions-and-dkms/
> The fix is not complex not sure why it is not part of bcache yet...

I think it's just that no one complained loud enough.

> Not sure if it's ceph-disk's job to do all of this with bcache though...
> We might need to check with the bache guys what are their plans about this.
> If this will go through at some point we might just wait, if not we
> could implement the partition trick on ceph-disk.

Making something like this go through shouldn't be a problem.  Sam's
patch is a bit of quick hack though - it messes up bcache device IDs
and also limits the number of partitions to 16.  Better to avoid
another hard-coded constant, if possible.

    # ls -lh /dev/bcache*
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  0 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache0
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  1 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache0p1
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 16 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache16
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 17 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache16p1
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 32 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache32
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 33 Mar 31 20:17 /dev/bcache32p1

We had to solve almost exactly this problem in rbd.  I can submit
a patch for bcache if it helps ceph-disk in the long run.

Thanks,

                Ilya