Re: ceph-disk improvements

> Op 3 april 2016 om 14:59 schreef Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> > > Op 1 april 2016 om 17:36 schreef Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > There are a couple of looming features for ceph-disk:
> > >
> > > 1- Support for additional devices when using BlueStore.  There can be up
> > > to three: the main device, a WAL/journal device (small, ~128MB, ideally
> > > NVRAM), and a fast metadata device (as big as you have available; will be
> > > used for internal metadata).
> > >
> > > 2- Support for setting up dm-cache, bcache, and/or FlashCache underneath
> > > filestore or bluestore.
> > >

> > Keep in mind that you can't create a partition on a bcache device. So when
> > using
> > bcache, the journal has to be filebased and not a partition.
>
> Can you create a bcache device out of a partition, though?

Yes. If you have /dev/sdb which is a SSD and /dev/sdc which is a disk, you can
do:

/dev/sdc can be used as a caching device:

$ make-bcache -C /dev/sdb

Now, you can partition /dev/sdc (the HDD):

$ parted /dev/sdc mklabel gpt
$ parted /dev/sdc mkpart primary 2048s 10G
$ parted /dev/sdc mkpart primary 10G 100%
$ make-bcache -B /dev/sdc2

Now you still have to attach /dev/bcache0 (which is /dev/sdc2) to /dev/sdb by
echoing the UUID to /sys/block/bcache0/bcache/attach

This is explained in a quick howto here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bcache

So for BlueStore this would work. A small, non-bcache, parition for XFS and
/dev/bcache0 for BlueStore directly.

The question will be if you want ceph-disk to prepare bcache completely, or ask
the user to provide a already configured device.

$ ceph-disk prepare --bluestore --bcache /dev/sdc1:/dev/bcache0

The first device will be the XFS partition with metadata and the second will be
data device.

Wido