Improving the Ceph contributor experience (episode 0)

Hi Ceph,

As a contributor to Ceph, each iteration is about proposing a change, running tests, getting a review and publishing a new Ceph release with it. It sounds simple but for those lucky enough to be paid full time to work on Ceph, it is difficult to understand the difficulties new contributors may experience. With this series of mails, I'll publish metrics that matter to the contributor and the success or failures of my attempts to improve them.

In the past 18 months or so, the average age of a pull request increased from around 30 days to around 50 days, as shown by the attached graph. Note that it does not include rgw or CephFS pull requests because I'm less familiar with these parts of Ceph. The details of how that was collected and graphed are at https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7644.

The pull requests are now included in the rados bi-weekly scrub (in addition to the Ceph tracker issues) which should help keep the pull requests young.

Cheers
--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre