Re: Adding Data-At-Rest compression support to Ceph

On 24.09.2015 19:03, Sage Weil wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Igor Fedotov wrote:

Dynamic stripe sizes are possible but it's a significant change from the way the EC pool currently works. I would make that a separate project (as its useful in its own right) and not complicate the compression situation. Or, if it simplifies the compression approach, then I'd make that change first. sage
Just to clarify a bit. What I saw when played with Ceph. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

For low-level RADOS access client data written to EC pool has to be aligned with stripe size . The last block can be unaligned though but no more appends are permitted in this case. Data copied from cache goes in blocks up to 8Mb size. In general case the last block seems to have unaligned size too.

EC pool additionally performs alignment of the incoming blocks to stripe bound internally. This way blocks going to EC lib are always aligned.
We should probably perform compression prior to this alignment.
Thus some dependency on stripe size is present in EC pools but it's not that strict.

Thanks,
Igor