Re: Adding Data-At-Rest compression support to Ceph

On 24.09.2015 19:03, Sage Weil wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Igor Fedotov wrote:

There is probably no need in strict alignment with the stripe size. We can use
block sizes that client provides on write dynamically. If some client writes
in stripes - then we compress that block. If others use larger blocks ( e.g.
caching agent on flush) - we can use that size or split the provided block
into several smaller chunks ( e.g. up to max N*stripe_size ) for overhead
reduction on random read. Even if client uses dynamic block sizes ( low level
RADOS use?) we can rely on them some way without static bind to stripe size.
Surely this is much easier when appends are permitted only.  General "random
writes" case will be more complex.
Dynamic stripe sizes are possible but it's a significant change from the
way the EC pool currently works.  I would make that a separate project (as
its useful in its own right) and not complicate the compression situation.

Or, if it simplifies the compression approach, then I'd make that change
first.
My point was rather about the lack of need to depend on stripe size for compression than about the need for dynamic stripes. As far as I understand clients can write data using blocks larger then stripe size, e.g. several stripes together. Is that correct?

At least I could see that for cache flush and low-level RADOS access.
So we can compress every written block independently - if it has stripe size - that's OK - compress it as-is. if it's larger - let's compress the whole block or split into less ones and compress them independently.

Thus I think there is no explicit need for additional changes in Ceph for doing compression.

Thanks,
Igor.
sage