Re: Higher OSD disk util due to RBD snapshots from Dumpling to Firefly

Hi Wido,
I've been trying to reproduce this but haven't been able yet.

What I've tried so far is use fio rbd with a 0.80.7 client connected
to a 0.80.7 cluster. I created a 10GB format 2 block device, then
measured the 4k randwrite iops before and after having snaps. I
measured around 2000 iops to the image before any snapshots, then
created 200 snapshots on the device and ran fio again. Initially the
iops were low (I guess this is from the 4MB CoW resulting from the
first 4k write to each underlying object). But eventually the speed
stabilized to around 2000 iops again. Actually the initial slowdown
was the same whether I created 1 snapshot or 200.

This was just quick subjective test so far, since from your report I
was expecting something obvious to stick out. But it appears pretty
OK, no? Would you have expected something different from these tests?

Cheers, Dan