RE: 10/7/2014 Weekly Ceph Performance Meeting: kernel boot params

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014, Shu, Xinxin wrote:
> Hi all , recently we tested 4K random write performance on our full SSD
> setup (12 x Intel DC3700) , but peak performance is ~23K IOPS, which is
> much lower than hardware capability , with detail latency breakdown , we
> found that most of latency comes from osd queue , we have noticed the
> optimizations on osd queue , and tried latest master on our setup , but
> there is a performance regression , we also checked the qlock and pg
> lock with perf counter, the waiting count and latency are very small,
> the attached pdf shows the details , any suggestion will be appreciated
> ?

I would start by making sure 'osd enable op tracker = false' if it isn't
already.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the work has enabled
OSD perforamnce to scale as the clients increase.  It looks like
your test has a single client.  Can you try running 2, 4, 8 clients
and see if the per-OSD throughput goes up?

Digging into the code with a tool like vtune would be extremely helpful, I
think.  There is a lot of time spent in do_op (osd prepare and osd queue)
that fujitsu has called out but we haven't narrowed down where the time is
being spent.

sage