Re: 10/7/2014 Weekly Ceph Performance Meeting: kernel boot params

Hi Sage,

[embedded below]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 06:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Andreas Bluemle wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > As always, it depends. I saw noticeable increases in some
> > > throughput tests (though I can't recall the % gain.) More
> > > important to me was that it made my fio results much more
> > > consistent. As we measure improvements, these settings remove
> > > some of the "system noise".
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Paul
> > >

> > There were two different aspects which showed improvemnt:
> >  - code was executed faster
> >  - thread switching delays were reduced significantly
> >
> > See the attached grahics. They show processing of a 4 kB write
> > request: processing at the Pipe::Reader is roughly 200 us in both
> > pictures, and sth. like 20 us at the OSD::Dispatcher. So there
> > is not much of a benefit here.
> >
> > But the delay between the end of the Pipe::Reader and the start
> > of the OSD::Dispatcher threads reduced really significantly.
>
> This test had a single outstanding IO, right?  The question for me is
> if this reflect latencies we'd see under a realistic workload, where
> the are more IOs in flight and the CPUs aren't likely to be in low
> power states. I'm not sure how low the load needs to be before those
> states kick in and these latencies start to appear...
>
> sage

Yes and no...

Yes: the test was a fio sequential write, 4k per write, with a
single IO in flight.

No: this means that on a given object in the osd file store with the
default size of 4 MByte, 1024 subsequent write requests will hit that
object - and hence the corresponding ceph-osd daemon. So even though
the system as a whole was not very busy, the ceph-osd daemon assigned
to the file object under pressure was fairly busy.

The intention of the test was to eliminate additional latencies
because of queues building up.

What the test shows is the contribution of the various processing
steps within ceph-osd to the overall latency for an individual
write requres when CPU power state related effects have been
eliminated,

> --

Andreas Bluemle                     mailto:Andreas.Bluemle@xxxxxxxxxxx
ITXperts GmbH                       http://www.itxperts.de
Balanstrasse 73, Geb. 08            Phone: (+49) 89 89044917
D-81541 Muenchen (Germany)          Fax:   (+49) 89 89044910

Company details: http://www.itxperts.de/imprint.htm