Re: 10/7/2014 Weekly Ceph Performance Meeting: kernel boot params

Hi,

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:55:38 -0700
Paul Von-Stamwitz <PVonStamwitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as mentioned during today's meeting, here are the kernel boot
> > > parameters
> > which I found to provide the basis for good performance results:
> > >
> > >    processor.max_cstate=0
> > >    intel_idle.max_cstate=0
> > >
> > > I understand these to basically turn off any power saving modes
> > > of the
> > CPU; the CPU's we are using are like
> > >   Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz
> > >   Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz
> > >
> > > At the BIOS level, we
> > >   - turn off Hyperthraeding
> > >   - turn off Turbo mode (in order ot not leave the specifications)
> > >   - turn on frequency floor override
> > >
> > > We also assert that
> > >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> > >   is set to "performance"
> > >
> > > Using above we see a constant frequency at the maximum level
> > > allowed by
> > the CPU (except Turbo mode).
> >
> > How much performance do we gain by this? Till now i thought it's
> > just 1-3% so i'm still running ondemand govenor plus power savings.
>
> As always, it depends. I saw noticeable increases in some throughput
> tests (though I can't recall the % gain.) More important to me was
> that it made my fio results much more consistent. As we measure
> improvements, these settings remove some of the "system noise".
>
> Best,
> Paul

There were two different aspects which showed improvemnt:
 - code was executed faster
 - thread switching delays were reduced significantly

See the attached grahics. They show processing of a 4 kB write
request: processing at the Pipe::Reader is roughly 200 us in both
pictures, and sth. like 20 us at the OSD::Dispatcher. So there
is not much of a benefit here.

But the delay between the end of the Pipe::Reader and the start
of the OSD::Dispatcher threads reduced really significantly.

(And sorry for the late response)