Re: Weekly performance meeting

Hi Dieter,

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Kasper Dieter wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> I'm definitely interested in joining this weekly call starting Oct 1st.
> Thanks for this initiative!

Great!  Please add these notes to

	http://pad.ceph.com/p/performance_weekly

> Especially I'm interested in:
> - how can we reduce the number of threads in the system
>   -- including to avoid the context switches in between
>   -- including to avoid the queues and locks in between

You should take a look at Haomai's AsyncMessenger implementation he posted
a few weeks back.  I'm not sure how much testing it's seen, but it
essentially refactors SimpleMessenger into a state machine and uses
libevent to schedule work.

> - how we can reduce the number of lines of code
>   -- including the multiple system calls for each IO

I have some planned changes to ObjectStore::Transaction that make it
handle-based.  This will make it easier to cache and avoid lots of dup
lookups (and lay some of the groundwork for the proposed KeyFileStore).

> - how we can introduce a high efficient timestamp collection of the most important FN check-points
> 	(see for example the attached file)
> 	to measure the change and effect of our actions

I think most of us are looking to LTTng or systemtap for this.  You should
also check out the thread '?nstrumenting RADOS with Zipkin + LTTng' from
several weeks ago for a pretty promising tracing strategy.

sage