From: Sage Weil [mailto:sweil@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:42 PM
To: Kasper Dieter
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Somnath Roy; Andreas Bluemle; Allen Samuels; PVonStamwitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xinxin.shu@xxxxxxxxx; haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx; s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx; xiaoxi.chen@xxxxxxxxx; milosz@xxxxxxxxx; zhiqiang.wang@xxxxxxxxx; jianpeng.ma@xxxxxxxxx; gdror@xxxxxxxxxxxx; vuhuong@xxxxxxxxxxxx; mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Weekly performance meeting

Hi Dieter,

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Kasper Dieter wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> I'm definitely interested in joining this weekly call starting Oct 1st.
> Thanks for this initiative!

Great!  Please add these notes to

        http://pad.ceph.com/p/performance_weekly

> Especially I'm interested in:
> - how can we reduce the number of threads in the system
>   -- including to avoid the context switches in between
>   -- including to avoid the queues and locks in between

You should take a look at Haomai's AsyncMessenger implementation he posted a few weeks back.  I'm not sure how much testing it's seen, but it essentially refactors SimpleMessenger into a state machine and uses libevent to schedule work.

> - how we can reduce the number of lines of code
>   -- including the multiple system calls for each IO

I have some planned changes to ObjectStore::Transaction that make it handle-based.  This will make it easier to cache and avoid lots of dup lookups (and lay some of the groundwork for the proposed KeyFileStore).

> - how we can introduce a high efficient timestamp collection of the most important FN check-points
>       (see for example the attached file)
>       to measure the change and effect of our actions

I think most of us are looking to LTTng or systemtap for this.  You should also check out the thread '?nstrumenting RADOS with Zipkin + LTTng' from several weeks ago for a pretty promising tracing strategy.

sage

> Best Regards,
> -Dieter
>

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 08:27:00PM +0200, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > A number of people have approached me about how to get more involved
> > with the current work on improving performance and how to better
> > coordinate with other interested parties.  A few meetings have taken
> > place offline with good results but only a few interested parties were involved.
> >
> > Ideally, we'd like to move as much of this dicussion into the public
> > forums: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and #ceph-devel.  That isn't
> > always sufficient, however.  I'd like to also set up a regular
> > weekly meeting using google hangouts or bluejeans so that all
> > interested parties can share progress.  There are a lot of things we
> > can do during the Hammer cycle to improve things but it will require some coordination of effort.
> >
> > Among other things, we can discuss:
> >
> >  - observed performance limitations
> >  - high level strategies for addressing them
> >  - proposed patch sets and their performance impact
> >  - anything else that will move us forward
> >
> > One challenge is timezones: there are developers in the US, China,
> > Europe, and Israel who may want to join.  As a starting point, how
> > about next Wednesday, 15:00 UTC?  If I didn't do my tz math wrong,
> > that's
> >
> >   8:00 (PDT, California)
> >  15:00 (UTC)
> >  18:00 (IDT, Israel)
> >  23:00 (CST, China)
> >
> > That is surely not the ideal time for everyone but it can hopefully
> > be a starting point.
> >
> > I've also created an etherpad for collecting discussion/agenda items
> > at
> >
> >     http://pad.ceph.com/p/performance_weekly
> >
> > Is there interest here?  Please let everyone know if you are
> > actively working in this area and/or would like to join, and update
> > the pad above with the topics you would like to discuss.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > sage

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).