Re: Mourning the demise of mkcephfs

On 15/11/13 03:25, Mark Nelson wrote:
On 11/14/2013 06:27 AM, Dave (Bob) wrote:
I would suggest that it is always dangerous to make assumptions.
If ceph-deploy needs some information, then this should be explicit, and
configurable.
If it needs to know whether initialisation is done by systemd, upstart,
or sysv init, then what is wrong with requesting a config option?

As it happens, ceph-deploy doesn't seem to be what I require as a
mkcephfs replacement.
An earlier exchange with Mark suggests that it wants to involve itself
with the installation of software, and the configuration of startup
mechanisms.

I am not an expert on ceph-deploy by any means. ceph-deploy can do these thing (install software, startup, etc), but I don't think it strictly has to.

This is not what I want, and it is not any part of what mkcephfs did.

Given that I have ceph installed, and a bunch of disk drives, I need to
be able to drive the ceph applications appropriately to set up the
osd's, keys, and other required data so that I can start the
ceph-osd(s), the ceph-mon(s), and the ceph-mds(s) [which I can do by
typing! (and I can make systemd do it automatically if and when I find
that I'm ready for that)].

This is what mkcephfs did.

As Mark said, you can do that with ceph-deploy. It *will* try to start the mon(s) and osd(s), but that is not usually a problem. I use ceph-deploy on systems where I've built ceph from source with no problems (actually once you get used to it, ceph-deploy is really very easy to use, and I *now* find it more convenient than mkcephfs ever was).

Cheers

Mark