Re: Mourning the demise of mkcephfs

I would suggest that it is always dangerous to make assumptions.
If ceph-deploy needs some information, then this should be explicit, and
configurable.
If it needs to know whether initialisation is done by systemd, upstart,
or sysv init, then what is wrong with requesting a config option?

As it happens, ceph-deploy doesn't seem to be what I require as a
mkcephfs replacement.
An earlier exchange with Mark suggests that it wants to involve itself
with the installation of software, and the configuration of startup
mechanisms.
This is not what I want, and it is not any part of what mkcephfs did.

Given that I have ceph installed, and a bunch of disk drives, I need to
be able to drive the ceph applications appropriately to set up the
osd's, keys, and other required data so that I can start the
ceph-osd(s), the ceph-mon(s), and the ceph-mds(s) [which I can do by
typing! (and I can make systemd do it automatically if and when I find
that I'm ready for that)].

This is what mkcephfs did.

The original documentation site gave information on how to perform all
these operations manually. I am not sure that this information is still
available.

Whilst I can see that a kind of 'Windows installer' type of application
could be useful in some circumstances, it is not appropriate to delete
basic instructions and believe that what I referred to as a 'smoke and
mirrors' approach to operation is an adequate substitute.

There has been several helpful replies here, and I thank those people.

Please don't maintain the notion that some 'magic installer' is a proper
substitute for basic and comprehensive 'man pages' and other appropriate
documentation.

I have been tracking ceph development for many tens of revisions; I have
discovered the weakness of BTRFS for ceph (which I use in all cases
except for OSDs, where I take the advice and use XFS); I experiment with
different hardware configurations; I take advantage of all kernel
developments that improve disk I/O performance; I keep working with the
latest kernel and the latest ceph. I am really looking forward to being
able to rely on ceph, it is the answer to many prayers.

My test is to rsync a large amount of data (several terabytes) to a ceph
filesystem and for this to happen without hitch. When this happens, I'll
have confidence. Ceph stresses everything.

I think that this day is now very close.

Very warm regards,
David