Re: Mourning the demise of mkcephfs

On 13/11/13 16:33, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
On 13/11/13 04:53, Alfredo Deza wrote:
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Dave (Bob) <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is unuseable for me at present, because it reports:

[ceph_deploy][ERROR ] UnsupportedPlatform: Platform is not supported:

That looks like a bug. For the past few months the log output of
ceph-deploy has tried to improve to give as much useful information
as possible.

To get to the bottom of this it would be super helpful to know what
distro you were attempting to connect to, what the actual command was,
and what version of ceph-deploy you were using.

Hopefully, with that information and the (possible) bug fix, it will
mean that more and more people find ceph-deploy as a robust solution
to get
a Ceph cluster up and running.

I believe he is using a self built (or heavily customized) Linux installation - so distribution detection is not going to work in this case. I'm wondering if there could be some sensible fall back for that, e.g:

- refuse to install or purge
- assume sysv init

so that ceph-deploy can 'do the best it can' in these situations. Thoughts?

Ahem - replying to myself, sorry:

It might be just as easy to allow init to be specified as an option (--init INITTYPE). As an aside, for my development (Ubuntu) workstation, I'm building ceph from src and using ceph-deploy to install it - *but* am switching init to sysv afterwards (I just prefer to use it for that situation).

Cheers

Mark