RE: Comments on Ceph distributed parity implementation

https://github.com/dachary/ceph/blob/wip-4929/doc/dev/osd_internals/erasure-code.rst.
> A quick look at the drawings will hopefully give you an idea. Each OSD is > a disk connected to the others over the network. Although I chose K+M = 5 > I suspect the most common use case will be around K+M = 7+3 = 10

Hi Loic,

A couple questions regarding your proposal:

Where would encode/decode occur? Client or OSD? Previous discussions seemed to want it at the OSD level. Your proposal seems that it could be either.

What about partial reads? For example, if only 'H' was requested, would you decode the entire object first? Or, read from OSD1 and reconstruct on error?

Thanks,
Paul