RE: Comments on Ceph distributed parity implementation

Benoit,

I agree with you. Redundancy and availability, as well as performance for both encoding and reconstruction, are related. There are inherent trade-offs between them. The beautiful thing about Ceph is the support for multiple pools which can have different attributes. Today we have pools with differing performance and redundancy characteristics. This may add complexity when adding erasure coding. Ideally, a user could create a pool that favored capacity and another one that favored availability and another... etc.

Jim, I like the image of your "space-overhead/fault-tolerance curve" because I see our issue as multiple points on the curve rather than a single one. From a performance perspective, I agree that the CPU burden is not really an issue, but inter-node communication is.

All the best
Paul