Re: Request for ceph.conf environment extension

Hi,

Yes, but IB costs 1/4 than 10GbE and will be much expandible in future.

I'm testing Ceph currently with bonded 1 GbE links and contemplating moving to 10 GbE or IB. I have to pay for the costs out of my own pocket, so price is a major factor.

I have noted that just recently it has become possible to buy 10 GbE switches for a lot less than before. I don't know what IB equipment costs, mainly because I don't know much about IB and hence don't know which equipment to buy.

My costs for a cobber-based 10 GbE setup per server would be approximate:

  Switch: 115$
  NIC: 345$
  Cable: 2$

  Total: 462$ (per server)

If anyone could comment on how that compares to IB pricing, I would appreciate it.

Is it possible to quantify how much Ceph would benefit of the improved latency between 1 GbE and 10 GbE? (i.e. assuming that 1 GbE gives me enough bandwidth, would I see any gains from lower latency?)

And similarly, would there be a significant gain from lower latency when comparing 10 GbE to IB? (I assume that IB has lower latency than 10 GbE)

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard, Mermaid Consulting ApS,
jens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,