Re: poor write performance

On 04/22/2013 12:32 AM, James Harper wrote:

On 04/19/2013 08:30 PM, James Harper wrote:
rados -p <pool> -b 4096 bench 300 seq -t 64

sec Cur ops   started  finished  avg MB/s  cur MB/s  last lat   avg lat
       0       0         0         0         0         0         -         0
read got -2
error during benchmark: -5
error 5: (5) Input/output error

not sure what that's about...

Oops... I typo'd --no-cleanup. Now I get:

     sec Cur ops   started  finished  avg MB/s  cur MB/s  last lat   avg lat
       0       0         0         0         0         0         -         0
   Total time run:        0.243709
Total reads made:     1292
Read size:            4096
Bandwidth (MB/sec):    20.709

Average Latency:       0.0118838
Max latency:           0.031942
Min latency:           0.001445

So it finishes instantly without seeming to do much actual testing...

My bad.  I forgot to tell you to do a sync/flush on the OSDs after the
write test.  All of those reads are probably coming from pagecache.  The
good news is that this is demonstrating that reading 4k objects from
pagecache isn't insanely bad on your setup (for larger sustained loads I
see 4k object reads from pagecache hit up to around 100MB/s with
multiple clients on my test nodes).

On your OSD nodes try:

sync
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

right before you run the read test.

I tell it to test for 300 seconds and it tests for 0 seconds so I must be doing something else wrong.

It will try to read for up to 300 seconds, but if it runs out of data it stops. Since you only wrote out something like 1300 4k objects, and you were reading at 20+MB/s, the test ran for under a second.

Whatever issue you are facing is probably down at the filestore level or
possible lower down yet.

How do your drives benchmark with something like fio doing random 4k
writes?  Are your drives dedicated for ceph?  What filesystem?  Also
what is the journal device you are using?

Drives are dedicated for ceph. I originally put my journals on /, but that was ext3 and my throughput went down even further so the journal shares the osd disk for now.

I upgraded to 0.60 and that seems to have made a big difference. If I kill off one of my OSD's I get around 20MB/second throughput in live testing (test restore of Xen Windows VM from USB backup), which is pretty much the limit of the USB disk. If I reactivate the second OSD throughput drops back to ~10MB/second which isn't as good but is much better than I was getting.

Ah, are these disks both connected through USB(2?)?

Thanks

James