Re: poor write performance

On 04/19/2013 08:30 PM, James Harper wrote:
rados -p <pool> -b 4096 bench 300 seq -t 64

sec Cur ops   started  finished  avg MB/s  cur MB/s  last lat   avg lat
      0       0         0         0         0         0         -         0
read got -2
error during benchmark: -5
error 5: (5) Input/output error

not sure what that's about...

Oops... I typo'd --no-cleanup. Now I get:

    sec Cur ops   started  finished  avg MB/s  cur MB/s  last lat   avg lat
      0       0         0         0         0         0         -         0
  Total time run:        0.243709
Total reads made:     1292
Read size:            4096
Bandwidth (MB/sec):    20.709

Average Latency:       0.0118838
Max latency:           0.031942
Min latency:           0.001445

So it finishes instantly without seeming to do much actual testing...

My bad. I forgot to tell you to do a sync/flush on the OSDs after the write test. All of those reads are probably coming from pagecache. The good news is that this is demonstrating that reading 4k objects from pagecache isn't insanely bad on your setup (for larger sustained loads I see 4k object reads from pagecache hit up to around 100MB/s with multiple clients on my test nodes).

On your OSD nodes try:

sync
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

right before you run the read test.

Whatever issue you are facing is probably down at the filestore level or possible lower down yet.

How do your drives benchmark with something like fio doing random 4k writes? Are your drives dedicated for ceph? What filesystem? Also what is the journal device you are using?

Mark

James