Re: deb/rpm package purge

On 03/20/2013 07:48 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 15:59 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
On the other hand, 'dpkg --purge' is to remove everything the package
has installed and/or generated. This includes debconf answers as well.
With other words, purge is used to make the system totally clean of the
package. As such, if the sysadmin install the package again, all debconf
questions will be asked again and all generated files will be generated
again from scratch.

I understand that part, but the policy isn't very clear about files that
are not part of the package but are generated as a result of the package
being installed (i.e., user data).
  Forgive me, I just learnt English and my wording may not be that clear
for a natural speaker.

As a point of comparison, mysql removes the config files but not
/var/lib/mysql.
  As I remember, MySQL asks if /var/lib/mysql/ should be purged or not; I
may mix with an other (database related) package.

The question is, is that okay/typical/desireable/recommended/a bad idea?
  I can rephrase my words. Purge removes the (binary) package files, its
configuration and logs (its generated files). To emphasis, user files
are _not_ fall into this category and must remain as-is, _intact_.
Some packages writes a console message that 'your files remain at xxx,
they were not removed' on purge. Others just leave the dpkg warning
"directory not empty so not removed" which means user files may have
left there and that may be the reason the directory is not empty.
  I'm in a rush, but hopefully will be able to note policy parts in the
afternoon (CET).

Thanks, Laszlo, that's exactly what I was after!  Sorry for the confusing
exchange.  :)

Sounds like in this case, the fix is simply to leave /var/lib/ceph
untouched.

We'll need to update teuthology ceph.py and nuke to clean up /var/lib/ceph
(for qa runs), and I think we should add a ceph-deploy 'purgedata' command
to clean out /var/lib/ceph on a given host.

It's not as important given that it won't outright destroy the cluster, but perhaps we should also leave /etc/ceph untouched on purge if a ceph.conf file has been placed in it (since that also was not installed by the package, but rather by a user?). I figure we should probably try to get it right now. The message about the directory not being empty sounds good.

My thought here is:

- remove anything created by the packages in /var/lib/ceph that has been untouched since package installation.
- remove /var/lib/ceph if it has been untouched
- remove /etc/ceph if it has been untouched

Thoughts?

Thanks!
sage

Mark