Re: deb/rpm package purge

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
>  Sorry if I was not clear and/or generic enough. Use of 'dpkg --remove'
> is to remove binaries of the package, but leave other things, runtime
> data (configuration, logs, database settings/users and so on) to be left
> untouched.
> On the other hand, 'dpkg --purge' is to remove everything the package
> has installed and/or generated. This includes debconf answers as well.
> With other words, purge is used to make the system totally clean of the
> package. As such, if the sysadmin install the package again, all debconf
> questions will be asked again and all generated files will be generated
> again from scratch.

I understand that part, but the policy isn't very clear about files that
are not part of the package but are generated as a result of the package
being installed (i.e., user data).

/var/lib/ceph/ has all of the *user data*, like critical monitor files
that are necessary for the cluster to function (/var/lib/ceph/mon/*), and
actual ceph objects (/var/lib/ceph/osd/*, although these are usually mount
points that we would unmount, not delete).  Doing a purge on the monitor
nodes would destroy the cluster (and all of its data) in a
not-easily-recoverable way.

As a point of comparison, mysql removes the config files but not
/var/lib/mysql.

The question is, is that okay/typical/desireable/recommended/a bad idea?

The less important question is whether /var/log/ceph should be removed;
I'm assuming yes?

Thanks!
sage