Re: deb/rpm package purge

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 15:59 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
> > > On the other hand, 'dpkg --purge' is to remove everything the package
> > > has installed and/or generated. This includes debconf answers as well.
> > > With other words, purge is used to make the system totally clean of the
> > > package. As such, if the sysadmin install the package again, all debconf
> > > questions will be asked again and all generated files will be generated
> > > again from scratch.
> >
> > I understand that part, but the policy isn't very clear about files that
> > are not part of the package but are generated as a result of the package
> > being installed (i.e., user data).
>  Forgive me, I just learnt English and my wording may not be that clear
> for a natural speaker.
>
> > As a point of comparison, mysql removes the config files but not
> > /var/lib/mysql.
>  As I remember, MySQL asks if /var/lib/mysql/ should be purged or not; I
> may mix with an other (database related) package.
>
> > The question is, is that okay/typical/desireable/recommended/a bad idea?
>  I can rephrase my words. Purge removes the (binary) package files, its
> configuration and logs (its generated files). To emphasis, user files
> are _not_ fall into this category and must remain as-is, _intact_.
> Some packages writes a console message that 'your files remain at xxx,
> they were not removed' on purge. Others just leave the dpkg warning
> "directory not empty so not removed" which means user files may have
> left there and that may be the reason the directory is not empty.
>  I'm in a rush, but hopefully will be able to note policy parts in the
> afternoon (CET).

Thanks, Laszlo, that's exactly what I was after!  Sorry for the confusing
exchange.  :)

Sounds like in this case, the fix is simply to leave /var/lib/ceph
untouched.

We'll need to update teuthology ceph.py and nuke to clean up /var/lib/ceph
(for qa runs), and I think we should add a ceph-deploy 'purgedata' command
to clean out /var/lib/ceph on a given host.

Thanks!
sage