Re: Understanding Ceph

Sage Weil wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Peter Smith wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Sage and everyone.

Sage, so I can expect Ceph-rbd works well on Centos 6.3 if I only use
it as the Cinder volume backend because the librbd in QEMU doesn't
make use of kernel client, right?

Then the dependency is on the qemu version.  I don't remember that off the
top of my head, or know what version rhel6 ships.  Most people deploying
openstack and rbd are using a more modern distro (like ubuntu 12.04).

This discussion has made me curious: I'm using Ganeti to manage VMs, which manages the storage using the kernel client and passes in the dev device to qemu.

Can you comment on any known performance differences between the two methods -- native qemu+librbd creating a block device vs. the kernel client creating a block device?

Thanks,
Jeff