Re: Understanding Ceph

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Peter Smith wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Sage and everyone.
>
> Sage, so I can expect Ceph-rbd works well on Centos 6.3 if I only use
> it as the Cinder volume backend because the librbd in QEMU doesn't
> make use of kernel client, right?

Then the dependency is on the qemu version.  I don't remember that off the
top of my head, or know what version rhel6 ships.  Most people deploying
openstack and rbd are using a more modern distro (like ubuntu 12.04).

Josh would know more...

> Could you explain a bit more about what are the functions of kernel
> client? Will it influence the daily operations, such as listing
> volumes, devices by using ceph commands?

There is no kernel dependency at all for the radosgw and qemu+rbd use-
cases.

sage