Re: flashcache

On 01/16/2013 11:47 PM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
Hi Mark,

Am 16.01.2013 um 22:53 schrieb Mark
With only 2 SSDs for 12 spinning disks, you'll need to make sure the SSDs are really fast.  I use Intel 520s for testing which are great, but I wouldn't use them in  production.

Why not? I use them for a ssd only ceph cluster.

Stefan

It's pretty tough to get an apples-to-apples comparison of endurance when looking at the Intel 520 vs something like the DC S3700. If I were actually building out a production deployment I'd probably stick with the DC S3700 (especially if sticking journals, flashcache, and xfs journals for 6 osds on 1 drive!). There's probably a reasonable endurance per cost argument for a severely under-subscribed 520 (or other similar drive) as well. It'd be an interesting study to look at how long it takes a small enterpise drives to die vs a larger under-subscribed consumer drive.

--
Mark Nelson
Performance Engineer