Re: flashcache

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> In a ceph cluster, flashcache with writeback is considered safe?
> In case of SSD failure, the flashcache contents should be already been
> replicated (by ceph) in other servers, right?

This sort of configuration effectively bundles the disk and SSD into a
single unit, where the failure of either results in the loss of both.
>From Ceph's perspective, it doesn't matter if the thing it is sitting on
is a single disk, an SSD+disk flashcache thing, or a big RAID array.  All
that changes is the probability of failure.

The thing to watch out for *knowing* that the whole is lost when one part
fails (vs plowing ahead with a corrupt fs).

> I'm planning to use this configuration: Supermicro with 12 spinning
> disks e 2 SSD.
> 6 spinning disks will have ceph journal on SSD1, the other 6 disks
> will have ceph journal on disks2.
>
> One OSD for each spinning disk (a single XFS filesystem for the whole disk).
> XFS metadata to a parition of SSD1
> XFS flashcache to another partition of SSD1
>
> So, 3 partitions for each OSD on the SSD.
> How big should be these partitions? Any advice?
>
> No raid at all, except for 1 RAID-1 volume made with a 10GB partitions
> on each SSD, for the OS. Log files will be replicated to a remote
> server, so writes on OS partitions are very very low.
>
> Any hint? Adivice? Critics?

I would worry that there is a lot of stuff piling onto the SSD and it may
become your bottleneck.  My guess is that another 1-2 SSDs will be a
better 'balance', but only experiementation will really tell us that.

Otherwise, those seem to all be good things to put on teh SSD!

sage