Re: OSD nodes with >=8 spinners, SSD-backed journals, and their performance impact

On 01/15/2013 03:24 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
2013/1/15 Mark Nelson <mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I think the 12 bay supermicro 2U "A" chassis with 12 spinning disks, 10GbE,
and two controllers is potentially a really nice balanced combination.

Which chassis are your referring to ? I don't see any 2U with 12 front
and rear spinning disk from supermicro. Only 3U with rear disks

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/826/SC826BA-R920LP.cfm

That chassis has 12 3.5" bays in front, with 2 2.5" bays in back. an interesting setup could be 12 spinning disks, with 2 very fast SSDs used for journals and OS. Would need to test it first, and not sure I like putting the OS on the journal drives. A more modest setup would be just to have the 12 spinning disks for data and journals and the rear drives for the OS.

Mark