OSD nodes with >=8 spinners, SSD-backed journals, and their performance impact

Hi everyone,

we ran into an interesting performance issue on Friday that we were
able to troubleshoot with some help from Greg and Sam (thanks guys),
and in the process realized that there's little guidance around for
how to optimize performance in OSD nodes with lots of spinning disks
(and hence, hosting a relatively large number of OSDs). In that type
of hardware configuration, the usual mantra of "put your OSD journals
on an SSD" doesn't always hold up. So we wrote up some
recommendations, and I'd ask everyone interested to critique this or
provide feedback:

http://www.hastexo.com/resources/hints-and-kinks/solid-state-drives-and-ceph-osd-journals

It's probably easiest to comment directly on that page, but if you
prefer instead to just respond in this thread, that's perfectly fine
too.

For some background of the discussion, please refer to the LogBot log
from #ceph:
http://irclogs.ceph.widodh.nl/index.php?date=2013-01-12

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,