Re: How are you using Ceph?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Tren Blackburn wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Smart Weblications GmbH - Florian
>> Wiessner <f.wiessner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i use ceph to provide storage via rbd for our virtualization cluster delivering
>> > KVM based high availability Virtual Machines to my customers. I also use it
>> > as rbd device with ocfs2 on top of it for a 4 node webserver cluster as shared
>> > storage - i do this, because unfortunatelly cephfs is not ready yet ;)
>> >
>> Hi Florian;
>>
>> When you say "cephfs is not ready yet", what parts about it are not
>> ready? There are vague rumblings about that in general, but I'd love
>> to see specific issues. I understand multiple *active* mds's are not
>> supported, but what other issues are you aware of?
>
> Inktank is not yet supporting it because we do not have the QA in place
> and general hardening that will make us feel comfortable recommending it
> for customers.  That said, it works pretty well for most workloads.  In
> particular, if you stay away from the snapshots and multi-mds, you should
> be quite stable.
With regards to the multi-mds, is that multi-active mds? I have 3
mds's built, and only 1 active. The others are incase there's a
failure. Does that scenario work?

> The engineering team here is about to do a bit of a pivot and refocus on
> the file system now that the object store and RBD are in pretty good
> shape.  That will mean both core fs/mds stability and features as well as
> integration efforts (NFS/CIFS/Hadoop).
That's awesome news. The file system component is very important to me.

> 'Ready' is in the eye of the beholder.  There are a few people using the
> fs successfully in production, but not too many.
I'll keep you up to date as our testing builds out! I'm in the process
of building out a new test cluster.

t.