Re: TIER: combine SSDs and HDDs into a single block device

On 08/02/2012 12:57 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:02:44PM -0500, Mark Nelson wrote:
Alex is also trying to bug the XFS guys (and Sage bugged the BTRFS
guys) about ways to put metadata on SSD while keeping data on
spinning disk. It sounds like there is a hack for XFS that would let
us keep inodes in the lower portion of a volume up to some
configurable boundary and then we could use lvm to assign that
portion of the volume to an SSD.  The BTRFS guys have a SOC project
in the works to separate out metadata onto another disk.

Also with XFS you can use the realtime device for data and the main
device for all metadata.

I was thinking of doing that. Is the realtime allocator a good fit for this kind of thing? I think dchinner mentioned on the xfs mailing list last year that it's single threaded and not very well optimized (and maybe not production viable?)

Mark

--
Mark Nelson
Performance Engineer