Re: TIER: combine SSDs and HDDs into a single block device

On 8/2/12 11:13 AM, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
Sounds like bcache in writeback mode. Assumes all underlying block
devices are RAIDed, or losing one will mean losing data; that is, for
example RAID1(SSD+SSD) & RAID5(8*HDD).

http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/?p=776

Neat!  I'll try to play with it once the test hardware all makes it in.

Alex is also trying to bug the XFS guys (and Sage bugged the BTRFS guys) about ways to put metadata on SSD while keeping data on spinning disk. It sounds like there is a hack for XFS that would let us keep inodes in the lower portion of a volume up to some configurable boundary and then we could use lvm to assign that portion of the volume to an SSD. The BTRFS guys have a SOC project in the works to separate out metadata onto another disk.

I think these kinds of things could really help our small request performance.

Mark