Re: Ceph Benchmark HowTo

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:06:44AM -0500, Mark Nelson wrote:
> I haven't actually used bonnie++ myself, but I've read some rather
> bad reports from various other people in the industry.  Not sure how
> much it's changed since then...
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/decoding_bonnie
> http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-file-system-benchmarks
> http://scalability.org/?p=1685
> http://scalability.org/?p=1688
>
> I'd say to just take extra care to make sure that that it's behaving
> the way you intended it to (probably good advice no matter which
> benchmark you use!)

Thanks, for this good links :), I have started to try fio too for its
flexibility.

> >All results are good, my benchmark is clearly limited by my network
> >connection ~ 110MB/s.
>
> Gigabit Ethernet is definitely going to be a limitation with large
> block sequential IO for most modern disks.  I'm concerned with your
> 6 client numbers though.  I assume those numbers are per client?
> Even so, with 10 OSDs that performance is pretty bad!  Are you
> getting a good distribution of writes across all OSDs?  Consistent
> throughput over time on each?

This is a network issue too, the 6 clients tests are not really
representatives, all clients share the same 1 gigabit link, I will
acquire more hardwares to be more realistic soon (and replace these
results).

Some precisions have been added to the benchmark page.

> >In exception of the rest-api bench, the value seems really low.
> >Is my rest-bench result normal ? Have I missed something ?
>
> You may want to try increasing the number of concurrent rest-bench
> operations.  Also I'd explicitly specify the number of PGs for the
> pool you create to make sure that you are getting a good
> distribution.

During my test the number of PGs is 640 for 10 OSDs, I have tried with more
concurrent operation 32 and 64, but the result is almost the same with
more latency.

Cheers,
--
Mehdi Abaakouk for eNovance