Re: Ceph Benchmark HowTo

Hi Florian,

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:06:04PM +0200, Florian Haas wrote:
> Hi Mehdi,
> For the OSD tests, which OSD filesystem are you testing on? Are you
> using a separate journal device? If yes, what type?

Actually, I use xfs and the journal is on a same disk in an other partition.
After reading documentation, I seems that using a dedicated disk is
better and SSD is a good choice.

> seekwatcher -t rbd-latency-write.trace -o rbd-latency-write.png -p 'dd
> if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rbd0 bs=4M count=1000 oflag=direct' -d /dev/rbd0
>
> Just making sure: are you getting the same numbers just with dd,
> rather than dd invoked by seekwatcher?

yes

> Also, for your dd latency test of 4M direct I/O reads writes, you seem
> to be getting 39 and 300 ms average latency, yet further down it says
> "RBD latency read/write: 28ms and 114.5ms". Any explanation for the
> write latency being cut in half on what was apparently a different
> test run?

Yes this is a different run, the one on the bottom was with less servers
but with better hardware.

> Also, were read and write caches cleared between tests? (echo 3 >
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches)

No, I will add it

> Cheers,
> Florian

I known that my setup is not really optimal,
Writing these tests help me to understand how ceph work and
I'm sure with your advice I will build a better cluster :)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
--
Mehdi Abaakouk