Re: setting up virtual machines with ceph

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM, udit agarwal <fzdudit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I have set up ceph system with a client, mon and mds on one system which is
> connected to 2 osds. . The ceph setup worked fine and I did some tests on it and
> they too worked fine. Now, I want to set up virtual machines on my system and
> want to run multiple virtual machine instances in parallel . But I don’t know
> about what are the exact installation steps that are needed to be done after the
> ceph installation. I guess I need to install rdb and kvm to achieve the same.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

First off, you need to decide whether you want "just virtualization"
or a "private cloud". For the former, you're looking at something like
just libvirt and kvm; for the latter, OpenStack builds on top of
libvirt and provides a lot of extra functionality (at the cost of
significant complexity).

You should probably study libvirt and/or OpenStack first,
independently of Ceph. Once you are familiar with running virtual
machines on local disks, switching from that to RBD isn't all that
difficult. That said, I am not aware of us having any real
documentation on how to do it, currently :( A guide is being written
as we speak, so hopefully it'll be ready Real Soon Now(tm).