Re: How will Ceph cope with a failed Journal device?

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Calvin Morrow <calvin.morrow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I posted the same question to the list last week and never got a
> reply.  In addition, I'd also like to know if there's a difference in
> failure behavior between XFS backed Ceph (writeahead journaling) and
> BTRFS backed Ceph (parallel journaling).

Actually, Sam replied to your email a week ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.devel/6258/focus=6358

Summarizing/rephrasing:

On both xfs & btrfs, a journal device giving I/O errors should make
the osd stop operating.

Losing a journal with xfs: you should destroy & recreate the osd, and
your data is safe because of Ceph replication across osds.

Losing a journal with btrfs: creating a new journal should let the osd
recover the missing parts from replicas (and your data is safe mostly
because of Ceph replication, recovery is just faster).