Re: Release/branch naming; input requested

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Yehuda Sadeh wrote:

> >> reallyold
> >> old
> >> current
> >> next
> >> latest/experimental
> >
> > I think we can limit the relative branches to:
> >
> >  master = integration, unstable, tip, bleeding edge (same as now)
> >  [next] = next upcoming release (same as now)
>
> However, now a release means a dev cycle, which is different than
> having a few iterations on a single release. So should 'next' be the
> next release, or the next output of the current dev cycle?

I think we can keep the current 'release each cycle' plan (which would
make 'the next release' and 'the output of the current dev cycle' be the
same thing).  There are still people who will want the bloody (if not
bleeding) edge of the last sprint output instead of a months-old stable
release.

And in general, next or current will pretty closely approximate a 'next'
that means 'the next stable release'.