Release/branch naming; input requested

Ceph is maturing as a product. This brings us new challenges. Up to
this point, we've been putting out a new release every 2-3 weeks, and
only rarely updating an old release. Update releases like 0.42.2 are
still a fairly rare occasion, and the the last number has never
reached 4. However, as we get more and more customers and integrators
deploying Ceph, we need to provide more stable branches with long term
maintenance.

I'm expecting, worst case, we'll be looking at something like this:

- "oldstable": right now, 0.41 plus bugfixes only, because that's what
deployed out there; updates will be rare
- "stable": minor new features will be brought in, but we'll need to
do extensive upgrade testing
- "integration": this will be what our OpenStack Folsom integration
will be against; including e.g. RBD layering
- "latest": new release every 2-3 weeks

On top of these, if you ask for the autobuilt repositories, we have:

- "master": autobuilt all the time
- several branches similar to "master", one per ceph.git branch, that
sometimes are helpful in isolating a bug, or testing whether a code
change fixes it

Now, all of these are relative names. For example, once OpenStack
Folsom is released, we'll need to open a new line of development for
integrating the next version, branching it off the "latest" at a
suitable point in time.

The problem with these relative names is, if you run a system against
"stable", and what "stable" points at changes, suddenly your old &
reliable system thinks it needs to be upgraded. It's better to look up
the current value of stable, and point the installation at that for
updates. Combine this with people tending to be pretty bad at
remembering specific numbers (I was a Debian Developer and I still
can't remember which one is Debian 5.0!), and a new practice emerged:
releases started getting codenames.

Debian originally started giving their releases codenames from the Toy
Story movies: hamm, slink, potato, woody, sarge, etch, lenny, squeeze,
wheezy.

Ubuntu uses largely similar infrastructure, but quickly improved on
that by alphabetizing their codenames: breezy, dapper, edgy, feisty,
gutsy, hardy, intrepid, jaunty, karmic, lucid, maverick, natty,
oneiric, precise; you don't need to remember the order to know
maverick came after lucid. The theme here is adjectives describing an
alliterative animal, Natty Narwhal etc.

OpenStack has picked the same alphabetical idea, using geographic
names near where their per-release development summit is hosted:
austin, bexar, cactus, diablo, essex, folsom.

A company I used to work for picked names of mountains, largely
choosing based on the magnificence of the upcoming release. By that
logic, agel would have fewer new features than matterhorn. The same
theme of mountains could also be used alphabetically. (Back at that
point, a large part of that reasoning was that we left version
numbering completely up to sales; engineering just did a look up of
codename.buildnumber => version string, and we were able to change the
version number of the product without rebuilding.)

On the flip side, Ubuntu also picked up an idea of versioning releases
based on the time of the release: YY.MM, as in 11.10, 12.04. This
works really well for them, because they release only every 6 months,
and they put a lot of effort into being on schedule, so it's always
.04 or .10.

Now, here are my actual questions:

1. What should the "relative" names of the branches be? "stable" vs
"latest" etc. I especially don't like "integration", but I do see a
time where it is not ready for "stable" but still needs to branch off
of "latest".

2. Do we want to use cutesy codenames? Alphabetical? Based on what theme?

3. Do we want to use calendar based names? "I'm using Ceph branch
2012.04"? (Or spell it 2012-04 to avoid confusing with 0.41 style
versions?)

3. What do we do with version numbers? With a 2-3 week iteration,
we'll end up with something like 0.41.x, 0.56.x for Folsom integration
(less than a year from now), and 0.57, 0.58 etc for "latest".

4. What will be worthy of 1.0? Is it when the distributed file system
is solid? Getting out of 0.x would help with separating the different
branches based on major numbers, but I fear that window has closed
already.

Your input is welcome.