Re: Release/branch naming; input requested

On 04/26/2012 06:09 PM, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
Now, here are my actual questions:

1. What should the "relative" names of the branches be? "stable" vs
"latest" etc. I especially don't like "integration", but I do see a
time where it is not ready for "stable" but still needs to branch off
of "latest".

2. Do we want to use cutesy codenames? Alphabetical? Based on what theme?

3. Do we want to use calendar based names? "I'm using Ceph branch
2012.04"? (Or spell it 2012-04 to avoid confusing with 0.41 style
versions?)

3. What do we do with version numbers? With a 2-3 week iteration,
we'll end up with something like 0.41.x, 0.56.x for Folsom integration
(less than a year from now), and 0.57, 0.58 etc for "latest".

4. What will be worthy of 1.0? Is it when the distributed file system
is solid? Getting out of 0.x would help with separating the different
branches based on major numbers, but I fear that window has closed
already.

Your input is welcome.

FWIW, I think the current Linux kernel versioning scheme should be
considered.  In particular I like that for the most part new features
don't get back-ported to stable series kernels; if you want new
features you need to upgrade.

If you haven't seen it, https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/11/779
has a good discussion of issues the kernel versioning attempts
to address.

I think names are cute but essentially useless - what I want
from an identification scheme is to tell at a glance that
"a" is likely to be better than "b".  Numeric "a" and "b" where
a > b does that for me; names don't.

Also FWIW, don't get hung up on 1.0.  Instead, borrow again from
kernel experience - what is needed is careful selection of the
versions that get long-term support.

If you haven't seen it, https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/15/5
has a good discussion of longterm kernel support.

-- Jim