a question about laggy mds

Hi all,
There are two mds in the ceph cluster,one is active and the other is
standby.  In my test,  I found the mds0 was marked as laggy, and it
was taken over by the standby soon. And it will take a long time for
the standby to become active if there are a great many of requests
from the client. I want to know under what circumstances mds would be
marked as laggy.
Here is my software version and ceph.conf.
Ceph version 0.24.3
Linux kernel 2.6.35.9

 Ceph.conf
    [global]