From: Wido den Hollander [mailto:wido@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 6:28 AM
To: Mark Nigh
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: A Few Questions about Ceph

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 22:52 -0600, Mark Nigh wrote:
> Wido,
>
> Thanks for the great information. I do have a follow up question. When I create my 3rd and 4th OSD nodes, how do I go about mounting that data? So for example, I am on a client and want to mount the data on the 3 and 4th nodes (different placement groups) and not the data on the 1st and 2nd OSDs.

First, you can't mount data which is on a specific OSD. You have to add
the OSD's to the cluster:
http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/OSD_cluster_expansion/contraction

When you did that, you can create a new CRUSH rule and assign a specific
pool/CRUSH rule to a directory.

You can mount every directy you want, so on your new client you can
mount the directory which has that CRUSH rule (cephfs tool).

> Am I looking at this incorrectly? To do what I am looking for, I would probably have to create a new FS with a msd and mon, etc?

Like I explained, not fully. Ceph places data on OSD's like to tell it
to (CRUSH map).

> I was able to mount the subdirectory as you suggested on a Fedora 14 box (mount -t ceph x.x.x.x:/subdir1 /mnt/ceph), but when I do a ls I get permission denied.

I'm not sure what that could be? Are you sure you are root? If not, do
you have the right permissions to do a ls there? No AppArmor or SELinux
which is in your way?

Wido