Re: [ceph-commit] ceph.git branch librados_api updated. v0.24.3-788-gd15fe7f

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We're definitely moving into bikeshedding territory now, but one thing
> Yehuda suggested:
>
> The pool handle (rados_pool_t, PoolHandle) has state associated with it,
> including the snap to read from or snap context to write with.  That's not
> obvious from the name.  Maybe it should be renamed rados_ioctx_t to be
> more clear.  Then the pool we're reading to/writing from becomes one more
> piece of state associated with the handle.

PoolHandle in the C++ API and pool_t in the C API map onto
RadosClient::PoolCtx, which contains the aforementioned state. So if
we change this in the C++ API, we should change it all the way
through, and rename pool_t, RadosClient::PoolCtx, etc.

Should we? I could go either way. The concept of a handle itself
having properties is not really unfamiliar. After all, two different
processes can open two different file descriptors referring to the
same file, but one with O_RDONLY, and the other with O_WRONLY. etc. A
handle to a thing is not the same as the thing itself.

Colin