Re: Roadmap to production

Am Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:25:40 -0700 schrieb Sage Weil:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> reading http://ceph.newdream.net/roadmap/ leaves me with some
>> questions. :)
>>
>> * is there some roadmap when CEPH will be official announced
>> "production ready"
>
> These are good questions.  :)
>
> I've made the Ceph site link directly into the redmine roadmap, where
> we'll be maintaining a detailed set of issues (features, bugs) for each
> upcoming release along with a target release date.  The roadmap now
> includes a v1.0, which will be something we at least will cautiously
> deploy in production.  I would like to get there (or close to it) by the
> end of the year.
>
> I prefer to avoid "production ready" as that is a bit of a subjective
> term.  Different people have different stability requirements and
> expectations.  That said, I would like v1.0 to be something I am
> comfortable encouraging people to use in real (but non-critical)
> deployments.

answering here the question from another thread because IMHO it fits
better:

> > what leads me to my other question: when will ceph be considered
> > "stable"?
> Soon?    I'd be interested in hearing what you (or anyone else) expect
> from a "stable" v1.0 release.

as storage is a fundamental service there are for sure other "stable"
demands than for a newsreader/mailclient/whateveruncriticalapp.

I'll give it a try to describe my idea of stable:

- stable means promised features (http://ceph.newdream.net/about/) work
reliable
- no workarounds needed to use these features
- (at least) in a series of stable releases (aka "1.x") i can upgrade
without downtime
- in a series of stable releases a can do a rolling upgrade
- in a stable series there no design changes introduced

- Thomas