Re: Roadmap to production

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> reading http://ceph.newdream.net/roadmap/ leaves me with some
> questions. :)
>
> * is there some roadmap when CEPH will be official announced "production
> ready"

These are good questions.  :)

I've made the Ceph site link directly into the redmine roadmap, where
we'll be maintaining a detailed set of issues (features, bugs) for each
upcoming release along with a target release date.  The roadmap now
includes a v1.0, which will be something we at least will cautiously
deploy in production.  I would like to get there (or close to it) by the
end of the year.

I prefer to avoid "production ready" as that is a bit of a subjective
term.  Different people have different stability requirements and
expectations.  That said, I would like v1.0 to be something I am
comfortable encouraging people to use in real (but non-critical)
deployments.

> * and will there be commercial support for it?

Yes.  We haven't settled on exactly what form that will take (what the
support contract terms will look like, whether there will be a
semi-independent entity, etc.), but that will be settled once we get
closer to v1.0.

sage