Re: NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's not easy backing up from behind the firewall.

What about using a service that will backup the mobile clients to an offsite repository that is accessible also from behind the firewall.

I was pitched something not too long ago about such a service, can't remember the name now unfortunately.

Otherwise you could look into some sort of WebDAV + Fuse setup or some specialized file system that is cached on the client but then syncs with the server in the background when available, then all your backups are local.
_______

Hi Ross,

Backing up behind the firewall is made easy by using an SSH tunnel :)

Communications is easy, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking the management and coordination of backups from behind the firewall.

We already have an offsite backup facility with a 3rd party, nbut I need more control over the backups, and want to setup an inhouse backup server which where all the client's account (this is hosting accounts & VPS's) be backed up to, then this server will do an rsync with all the data to the offsite backup server.

You might find this to be a Herculean task that even if implemented, impossible to support.

-Ross