Re: NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

On Jan 28, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM, nate <centos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> nate, why not? Is it simply unavoidable at all costs to mount on system on
> another, over a WAN? That's all I really want todo

If what you have now works, stick with it.. in general network
file systems are very latency sensitive.

CIFS might work best *if* your using a WAN optimization appliance,
I'm not sure how much support NFS gets from those vendors.

iSCSI certainly is the worst, block devices are very intolerant of
latency.

AFS may be another option though quite a bit more complicated, as
far as I know it's a layer on top of an existing file system that
is used for things like replication

http://www.openafs.org/

I have no experience with it myself.

Thanx nate, this is what I wanted to hear :)

So, is there any benefit in using NFS over SMB in this case? The CIFS mounts can't be unmounted without a reboot, so they build-up a pool of mounts to the same server which cause extra latency

It's not easy backing up from behind the firewall.

What about using a service that will backup the mobile clients to an offsite repository that is accessible also from behind the firewall.

I was pitched something not too long ago about such a service, can't remember the name now unfortunately.

Otherwise you could look into some sort of WebDAV + Fuse setup or some specialized file system that is cached on the client but then syncs with the server in the background when available, then all your backups are local.

-Ross