Re: Help setting up external drive via Firewire

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 18:43, Bill Campbell <centos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My experience with Firewire has not been all that good.  I figured that
> since Apple had been using it for years, and it is an IEEE standard, that
> Firewire would be more reliable than USB.  I was also a bit wary as the USB
> disk drivers on SuSE gave warning messages saying they might not be very
> reliable.

Same here. I just migrated our backups from Firewire 800 to USB2,
because the Firewire was causing us a kernel crash per week and we
were having to reboot our server because of the backup drives. This on
three different machines, one running SuSE 10 and two others with
CentOS 5 with the centosplus kernel.

I haven't had any problem with the machine since the FW drive was plugged in and left plugged in since I have not been physically back on location. What causes this crash and how would I know it is related to FW or not, in the event but hopefully never, the system does crash?